Thursday, February 18, 2010


Upon returning from work this evening after what felt like a particularly lengthy day, I was greeted with a surprise package in the post. A new friend mailed a cassette tape to me; of which I am listening to as I type... these... very... words.

It is such niceties as these that can make all the difference. Something so simple: a package in the post, a quick phone call, a hello, a please or a thank you, has the potential to change the entire course of a day.

Politeness never ceases to surprise me. Etiquette is a lost art and civility is no longer about the collective whole. We are a whole of individuals, and we are all going to be first in line and first to receive and mine must be better than yours and if not well then shove off. This selfishness collective is the norm. Seemliness and proper behavior are a thing of the past.

I understand the "to each his own" attitude and the idea of "loving yourself first." I also understand the concept that each person is responsible for themselves only, so why should I care? What affect do they have my life? The truth of the matter is we do have influence; we set a chain reaction with a mere action and so forth.

I believe in personal responsibility, truth, honor and respect. I am never fully capable of these things at all times (are any of us?) but I try. We should all try. Be a lady for an afternoon. Be a gentleman for an evening. See if you like yourself better as you make these cordial attempts... I found I have.

In my past I haven't always upheld responsibility. I haven't always been honest; with myself or with others. I never had the chance to realize or commit honor and respect to anyone romantically; which has completely changed the desire within me to be a better person.

I am inspired by the package I received today; I am inspired because a new friend kept his word & mailed me a gift truly out of kindness. What a rare feeling indeed.